Client Support Groups
These groups are designed for clients who live in Maryland and are looking for additional support on how to recover in a world filled with diet-culture. Tools and activities and conversation will be focused on how to strengthen your recovery voice and how to recognize and get the help that you need for a full recovery. In this group you will be asked to come to group and follow these rules:
-respect for self and others
-everything stays confidential
-no bad body talk
-avoid specific reference to numbers, meal plan, triggering details, etc.
Some recent activities include:
• Decorating grounding boxes
• Playing our own version of Recovery Jenga
• Positive affirmations
• Reading recovery and empowering essays
• Working on alter books
• Making recovery bracelets
• Ripping up diet books
• Decorating shirts to wear on NEDA fund-raising walk
• Looking at menus from fancy restaurants and looking at food through a curious lens instead of an eating disorder lens
• Decorating face masks with the outside showing what the world sees and the inside what is really going on.
Everyone is on their own journey and we are here to help support each other in recovery from an eating disorder.
Some more examples of activities both inside and outside of our meetings include:
• The AED Sock-it to eating disorders: Find the silliest,most fun, colorful socks you can find and wear them to support group and during the month of February to Sock-it to eating disorders and raise money for EDN of Maryland to increase awareness.
• Yoga in Recovery with guest leader
• Washington, DC NEDA walk
• Break your bathroom scale: raising money for EDN of Maryland
• Using all your senses for relaxation and mindfulness
Here is a recent description from one of our support group participants:
“Support group is a place where you don’t have to talk about the food and the feelings, but if you want to talk about it, it is a safe place to do so”
Contact email@example.com or call 240-670-4675 before you attend your first meeting.